Your Ad Here

Multiple Sclerosis Search

Custom Search

Tuesday 28 April 2009

I am not on the drink.

Occasionally, MS strikes in such a way that walking and talking becomes difficult and strange. To the "uninitiated" it appears as though you are drunk. Your walking may become unbalanced and lead to frequent close encounters of the painful kind with the pavement or strategically placed objects that were designed to inflict the maximum amount of damage with the minimum amount of effort. My particular forte is the stealthy corners of tables,but I have been known to be attacked by the unobtrusive yet highly effective doorway.This balancing problem is particularly aggravated when you are suffering from a cold or flu. Because one of the manifestations of MS is slurred speech, trying to convince people that you have MS can prove somewhat tiresome and futile. Unfortunately, for this reason alone, it is important to tell family and employers that this is not the case. Your best bet is to educate them and do it quickly. It is part of the human condition to judge before knowing all the facts.

Think happy thoughts, and keep that MS misfit at bay.

3 comments:

  1. This is so true!!!! If only more people knew and understood this fact...Life might be a little easier for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,

    Can I post this to me blog, its really good? and do all the linking back to you.

    My blog is part of my disability site www.uhad2bthere.co.uk

    Let me know

    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George,

    Thank you very much. Yes you can post this if you like it, and thank you, in advance, for linking back. If this helps spread understanding about the challenges we face, then I am all for it.

    Kindest regards

    Mike

    ReplyDelete