Your Ad Here

Multiple Sclerosis Search

Custom Search

Thursday 12 March 2009

Beta Interferon treatment

The joys of injecting yourself with a cold acid. After I was diagnosed with MS, I was given three choices:
1) an experimental MS trial drug,if
2) beta interferon, or
3) no treatment at all.

Option 3 never really made past the first hurdle, in fact it never took part in the race. The first option carried with it a few risks, not least of which was its effects on either egg or sperm cell. As I was contemplating creating my family when the first option was offered, I felt I had to decline this offer until we had a family. That left on Beta Interferon. If memory serves, there existed 5 different forms of Beta Interferon, manufactured by either 3 or 4 different pharmaceutical companies. Each form of Beta Interferon had its merits and drawbacks, but I chose Rebif. Why ? Being male, I was taken by and wanted the GADGET used to inject yourself with. There was no better reason ... honstly!

And thus began the Beta Interferon days, which lasted approximately 2 years. A few things that I later developed issues about:
1) keeping the serum at a constant pressure
2) keeping a sharps bin
3) extra traveling baggage because the serum was being kept and cooled in a lunch-box
4) the discomfort experienced in injecting yourself
5) the discomfort of the actual serum, which is an acid and it is cold.
6) and a few other issues.

Unfortunately, Beta Interferon had very little, if any effect on me, as I had further episodes of paralysis. After a short wait, I was placed into the experimental treatment.

To cut the story short, Beta Interferon may work well for you, and if it does then use it.

Silent Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment