Your Ad Here

Multiple Sclerosis Search

Custom Search

Friday 20 March 2009

The Long John Silver Walk

Due to the hemiplegia that I experienced, the flare ups that I now experience cause this walk. 40 paces and you are shattered. Why do I call this the Long John Silver walk? Simply because one leg does not function as nature and biology had intended. Briefly, the leg loses flexibility and you end up hobbling as though you are the owner of a wooden leg. It becomes particularly strenuous ... and comical when you are faced with a plethora of stairs to negotiate. One leg functions correctly, and the other must either be swung out the side and onto the next step or (and this is harder work) it must be brought up to the same step, where after the first leg ascends the next step in the usual manner. Doing it in the latter fashion feels like you are climbing twice the number of stairs, and furthermore, once you have reached the summit, the good leg is knackered.

As an MS sufferer you develop numerous different walks to assist you in getting from A to B. Some of these look comical and awkward, but are in fact the most efficient way of moving and are less strenuous on other parts of your body, such as the spine. I have a particular walk that looks as though I am a little slow in the head, perhaps even spastic because I end up dragging one half of my body "behind me" and in particular the affected leg. Another, and probably the most common MS walk, I call the "cowboy" ! With this walk you look as though you have dismounted your horse in an undignified manner, because the distance between the feet is greater than the width of your hips. It is a very flattering walk, in fact, they all are and should be used on the fashion catwalks of London, Paris and all the other fashion capitals of the world.

Other factors that affect walking include
1) balance issues
2) numbness of the feet and legs
3) sensations of "heavy legs" where the legs feel as though weighted down with lead weights
4) limited flexibility of the feet, whereby the foot does not roll in the normal manner

In my humble opinion, it would be so easy to give in to the mobility problems that I experience, however, for me this is not an option. I have resisted the walking stick and the motorised wheelchair with vehemence.

In fact, who really cares what you look like when you walk funny ... at least you are walking, and exercising your body and giving MS a good solid fight. Walk slower and try to control more of your motion with each step. Take regular breaks, especially when your legs feel as though they are on fire (another common sensation I discovered). You now have an excuse to walk slower and observe the world around you. The remainder of the world may see you as DISABLED, but I like to think of it as DIFFERENTLY ABLED.

Are there any other amusing MS walking styles? Please tell me.

Finally, remember that many youngsters try to develop a signature walk and spend years working on one, and we have one without much effort.

You may have MS, but never ever let MS have you. Use that beautiful mind and fight back.

With affection
Silent Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment