Your Ad Here

Multiple Sclerosis Search

Custom Search

Tuesday 19 May 2009

Midnight Discomfort

So ... There I was! Lying on my bed, covered by my favourite blanket, blissfully waiting to be engulfed by the sweet embrace of delicious sleep. My body started relaxing, and SUDDENLY it started! A familiar and uncomfortable sensation. It usually starts in the feet, slowly and deliberately moving towards the shin, then steadily crawling towards my chest. Surely this has to be some kind of bug or creature that found its way under my blanket ... so my next move is to leap out of bed - with much caution because the first time I did this I almost killed myself-, fling back the blanket and proceed to finding the intruder. However, as so often before, nothing can be found. There is no bug. No bedbug, no flea!

The midnight discomfort feels like 1000 ants decided to go on a midnight march, using my body as an obstacle course. It is not painful at all, but it is ticklish and itchy. It is tortuous and prevents me from sleeping. I have tried blocking it out, but failed dismally. Having another shower does not help either. The only thing I have not tried is sleeping with a sackcloth blanket.

Any suggestions on dealing with this will be most welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I'm a bit behind on reading- life got in my way oops!! Gabapentin or Pregablin, I've found can be quite handy for these sensations in a different condition, but it's not the primary reason I take it, but it's just an adjunct benefit I gain from it. If you're already on this then I've run out of ideas really. Although I do remember something about immersing my feet in warm water to try and override some bizarre signals my legs were giving was suggested at some point but I've never tried this.

    ReplyDelete