Your Ad Here

Multiple Sclerosis Search

Custom Search

Thursday 7 May 2009

Something new

Seldom am I surprised by my Multiple Sclerosis, however, recently I encountered something new. Thrilling is quite possibly the wrong word to use, but being able to experience a new sensation does have its benefits. The principle reasons for this is twofold: Firstly, it implies that some part of your anatomy - which had functioned normally - has now ceased to do so and may inject some more excitement and challenges into your life, not that this added inconvenience is particularly desirable. Secondly, it keeps you on your toes because the worst thing that you could possibly become is complacent about the aches, pains and inconsistencies of your body. Be vigilant!

What I had experienced was strange. I shower as often as possible, and usually the temperature I set for the shower is "particularly warm indeed" as opposed to "hot" or "just add seasoning". I enjoy my showers ... absolutely ... and I was doing OK ... until I placed my hands under the fall of water. While the remainder of my body was luxuriating in the warm embrace of falling water, my hands felt as though I had recklessly immersed them into a kettle of boiling water.

I have mentioned, in a previous post, my periodic inability to determine changes in temperature; however, in this instance I had experienced an extreme in only my hands, whereas the remainder of my body sent continuous reports to my brain that everything was just fine. I therefore proceeded to confirm that I had set the shower at the correct temperature, thinking that perhaps I had set it too high and may require some plastic surgery, but ... everything was set correctly. So, as I had never experienced this before, I now classify this as a relapse and not a flare-up.

This incident clearly highlights what many MS sufferers experience, namely, that the nerves function but not reliably. The signals your brain receives are either muffled or heightened, and this could change from one to the other in a very short timespan. Making judgement calls on either your body or your environment, based on such unreliable information, is difficult and potentially dangerous. This is MS trying to get the better of you. Don't let it! If Ms tries to throw such challenges at you, accept them and appreciate them. These instances allow you to learn more about your body and how it functions.

Remember this: you may have MS, but do not let IT have YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Calling Silent Mike... beep, beep, beep,,,
    Please contact stuart@msviewsandnews.org
    or visit our website to register for our weekly ms related e-newsletter at: http://www.msviewsandews.org

    thank you

    ReplyDelete