Your Ad Here

Multiple Sclerosis Search

Custom Search

Monday 18 May 2009

Powers of Observation

I am always stumped by the incredible display of some remarkable powers of observation by people who know me, and are aware that I have Multiple Sclerosis. I have often been "challenged" by some remark such as "Are you having trouble walking today?" after clearly seeing that such is the case as I was approaching them. One response from me was "No ... not really! I am trying out my new cool walk. Do you think it looks OK?"

I am not bitter about anything, even though my responses may portray me otherwise, but I do get annoyed and I love delivering response such as the one above. My philosophy has always been "accept and educate, be harsh in delivery but not in demeanor!". The delivery of the above response, or similar ones, should always be accompanied by both a smile and a mischievous twinkle in the eye. Of course, if you have or had Optic Neuritis, then this twinkle is already permanently there. All jokes aside, I try never to be offish or aggressive. Firstly, it is unnecessary; and secondly, it is highly unattractive. The comments should have enough of a sting to tell people that such comments are not appreciated, especially after hearing it from virtually everyone you met that day already. The responses should also not be too harsh, because you could find yourself not only alone but also lonely.

Hone your skills on siblings and family members, before assaulting the public with your verbal venom.

No comments:

Post a Comment